Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pineapple Sangria

I don’t really have a quick or witty story to tell to relate to this sangria, I just wanna say “Make this sangria… it wuz good.

Just kidding.

Seriously though, this was a mighty tasty sangria.  For some reason I’m more drawn to white sangrias than I am your typical red sangria.  Way way way back in 2008, I made a Peach White Wine Sangria.  I think perhaps I just prefer the lightness of a white wine sangria.  I made this for my neighbor’s 4th of July party and it was VERY well received.  And all of his friends have VERY good taste in potluck party fare.  Seriously, I was so happy at the first party of his we attended to discover couscous and fresh veggie salad, fresh caprese skewers, my favorite local goat cheese, and more delectable dishes.

I knew I’d be making this for a crowd, so I multiplied the recipe to use a 3L bottle of wine.  I went ahead and added the mint and orange slices to the sangria and poured it all into my lovely new drink dispenser!  This sangria was gone WELL before the sun set for fireworks.  I like that it’s not sickeningly sweet, and the fresh mint really adds a herbal zing to please the palate.  Here in Tennessee it’ll be hot well into September, so luckily we have plenty more opportunities to enjoy this refreshing drink!

Pineapple Sangria

Yield: Makes 8 servings

I doubled the ingredients listed below (and used a 3L bottle of wine) to serve a crowd. Please note if you want as much sangria as you see if my photo, you'll want to do the same. If you want to serve a smaller group of friends, the amounts listed below is what you'll need.

Ingredients:

3 cups pineapple juice
1 bottle dry white wine, such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc
1 cup brandy (pear brandy or apricot brandy will work)
1 ripe pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup pineapple soda
1 bunch fresh mint, roughly chopped
1 orange, sliced

Directions:

In a pitcher, combine the juice, wine, brandy, pineapple, and soda with ice and stir. Pour into large wineglasses and garnish with the mint and orange.

PS. If you’re interested in a traditional red wine sangria, check out this one over at The Novice Chef!

30 Responses to “Pineapple Sangria”

Blog is the New Black — August 10, 2011 @ 6:56 am

Why did I not think of this? Pure genius!

Erin — August 10, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Pineapple juice is great to mix into beverages, wonderful idea here!

Erin @ One Particular Kitchen — August 10, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Oh and it’s so pretty too!

Lesley Eats — August 10, 2011 @ 10:59 am

This is the sangria recipe I use for party-size sangria. Cheap, easy, and OMIGOSH the compliments I receive are crazy. People don’t believe when I tell them what’s in it.

ps–thanks for the reminder. Been meaning to put one of those nifty drink dispensers on the ol’ Christmas list. :)

Kelly — August 11, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Ooh I love this! What kind of pineapple soda did you use? The only kind I’ve seen is at K&S and is interesting, but curious if that’s what you used.

Kelsey — August 15, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Wouldn’t you know it, I was just looking at some pineapple juice I need to use up and wondering what to do with…problem solved. Done and done!

Jessica — August 15, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Will you make this when I come to Nashville? Pretty please?

Madeline — September 2, 2011 @ 6:50 am

I’ve never seen white sangria! The red is far too heavy for me, I’ll have to make this one and see how it goes! That peach sangria sounds delish too. I certainly do love a good cocktail ;)

amanda — November 15, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

is pineapple soda easy to find?

• Erin replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

It actually was easier than I thought it would be.  Does your grocery have a Latin/Mexican section?  Most of the ones here do, and if you look there, you’ll see sodas. Brands to look for include: Jarritos, Goya, Topo Chico, and even Fanta.

Missy — May 14, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

What size bottle of wine normal or the large 3L size? Thanks!

• Erin replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Above the recipe posting, I stated that I doubled it to serve a crowd, and used a 3L bottle of wine, but I may not have made that clear in the actual recipe. I’ve adapted it now to hopefully clear up any confusion.

Rhonda — July 22, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Mind if I ask how many servings this recipe makes? I’m always looking for a different “punch” to serve my bunco group and this looks delicious!

• Erin replied: — July 22nd, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

As written, this recipe serves 8. As pictured, it serves 16, because I doubled the recipe. I hope that helps!

Alexis — July 31, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

I have a 6 quart drink dispenser. Should I double your recipe or triple it? I can’t tell the size of your dispenser. Thanks!

• Erin replied: — July 31st, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

What you see pictured is the recipe doubled, and my beverage dispenser holds 5.5 liters of liquid. So, as you can see you COULD triple the recipe and still have plenty of room in your container. I think it all depends on the crowd you’re serving. If you need to triple, go for it. I hope that helps!

Heather — December 17, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Could you use canned pineapple for this?

• Erin replied: — December 17th, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

I’m sure you could, but it would taste best with fresh. A lot of grocery stores offer fresh cut fruit, near the produce & deli sections, so that could be an option if your store offers it.

Maureen — January 31, 2013 @ 8:02 am

Wow this sounds delicious! So you add the whole fresh pineapple into the pitcher as well, right?

• Erin replied: — January 31st, 2013 @ 9:19 am

Yup! It all goes in. The pineapple just floats around looking pretty. :)

15. Pingback: 7 Sangria Recipes to Savor

Mama B @ My Edible Journey — March 11, 2013 @ 11:47 am

That looks really nice. I’ve never heard of pineapple soda, much less ever come across it, though. So Club Soda will have to do. The juice and fruit should add enough sweetness already anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Pat — March 25, 2013 @ 10:04 am

It was so easy to make and it very interesting for my group I made it for a bunch of ladies that play Bunco. We enjoy it but some didn’t drink they were designated drivers bumers. Thanks I’m going to make it for my parties by the pool also this summer. But I think I’m going to try the red.

18. Pingback: We All Live In A Yellow Submarine – Alister’s First Birthday | Short Pockets Number Two

KD Sabaria — May 13, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

How about the orange? Do you peel the orange or do you just cut it like in bars amd include the peel? Can you make this and store it overnight? Sorry for all the questions, this is going to be my first ever homemade sangria

• Erin replied: — May 14th, 2013 @ 5:37 am

I did not peel the orange. If you slice it with the peel on, it looks pretty floating around. Personally I would not make this recipe the night before, mainly because it has pineapple soda in it. This would taste best made the day of. :)

20. Pingback: Cocktail Link Love - Old Salt Merchants

Julie — March 19, 2014 @ 3:06 pm

I know you may not get this as this post is older, but I have to ask about your drink dispenser. What I can see of it is lovely. Can I ask where it is from, what style, and if you are still happy with it? I have read so many online reviews of dispensers leaking that I haven’t committed to any yet! Thank you for your beautiful and yummy post! I can’t wait for a summer party to try this recipe out! :)

• Erin Wilburn replied: — March 19th, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

Why thank you! I do love the drink dispenser. Unfortunately I can’t remember brand/style, but I do know I bought it at Target in late spring/early summer of 2010 with a wedding gift card. What I am not happy about is I brought it to my parent’s house to use for a party, and my mom lost it in the dark abyss that is her basement storage! :( Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Donna — April 12, 2014 @ 9:38 am

Julie they sell some really nice drink dispensers at Sam’s Club for around $30-$40 that hold about four gallons. They last a super ling time.