Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bourbon Ball Martini

Let me introduce you to my December addiction: a Bourbon Ball Martini. Wow. Wow. Wow. I first spotted this on Kira’s blog. When the weekend rolled around I bought all the ingredients. The Boy and I were just relaxing late one night that weekend, sipping on these cocktails. Not long after, we heard a knock on our door. It was our neighbors popping up for a visit. We introduced them to the Bourbon Ball Martini, and they were equally smitten. We were all so taken with the drink, we drank them again the next night! I’ll just say, in the small span of 3 days, a bottle of Bulleit exactly like this had disappeared! Then, just a few nights later, when they left town for the holidays, I got a phone call from them asking for the recipe. (Have I ever mentioned how much I love these two?)

This cocktail is exactly the kind I like. I don’t want a drink that disguises the alcohol behind a bunch of sugary, fake fruity flavors, blended with ice. No sirree. The prominent flavor in this drink is most definitely bourbon. Maybe it’s because I’m natively a Kentuckian, or maybe it’s because my favorite tv show is Mad Men, but I’m increasingly loving bourbon and whiskey drinks. The hazelnut liqueur and creme de cacao and just the hint of sweetness. It really captures the strength and sweetness of a bourbon ball. The original recipe says to garnish with an actual bourbon ball, I just didn’t have any. Also, my martini is light in color, because the creme de cacao I bought was clear. I had the option of clear, or one with “artificial caramel coloring”. Anyways, I’m glad I finally got around to photographing it to share. Now, if only my neighbors would come back into town, so we could all partake together!

Bourbon Ball Martini

from Cooking with Bourbon, as seen on Food all Puttanesca
serves 2

Ingredients:

3 oz. bourbon whiskey
3 oz. creme de cocao
2 oz. hazelnut liqueur (like Frangelico)

Directions:

Fill a shaker with cracked ice. Combine ingredients, shaking to chill. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with two bourbon ball chocolates on a skewer.

15 Responses to “Bourbon Ball Martini”

Erin — March 4, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I think bourbon and whiskey are an acquired taste, and I hate to admit that I’m just not there yet. I tend to stick to beer (but good beer, I promise!), because liquor tastes so strong and tends to sneak up on me. However, this sounds like a good “gateway” , with the Frangelico and creme de cocao, so maybe I’ll challenge myself to try it! Plus, I know my husband would drink the bottle of bourbon if I wimped out :)

Maria — March 4, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Cheers:)

Jackie — March 4, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

This sounds absolutely incredible. Thanks for the recipe! I might even have to go find some darned bourbons to finish it off!

Kira — March 4, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

One day, I will garnish this with a bourbon ball. Mmmm!

Stella — March 4, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

Sounds good! I should probably try one, since I have like a whole set of Bulleit Bourbon drinking glasses (a remnant of my restaurant managing days). You know, I don’t even think I’ve tried Bulleit. I dart right for the Evan Williams.

Teresa — March 4, 2010 @ 10:24 pm

oh, how i love bourbon!…and you for posting this drink recipe! can’t wait to shake one up!

Kathleen — March 5, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

I have a dear friend who will go absolutely crazy for this! Thanks for sharing!

Anne — March 5, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

You are after my heart. Adding a bourbon ball would be genius!

Reagan — March 5, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

I am addicted to Mad Men as well and can’t wait to mix up one of these while watching season 4!

10. Pingback: Feb 27 « Blog Archive « Erin's 365 Project

Jessica — March 7, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

Oh yum! This would have been perfect to go with The Oscars tonight! Too bad I don’t have any bourbon!

Lori — March 9, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Erin-it was great to meet you last night! I’m super impressed with your food photography on here….can’t wait to try some of your recipes and try some pictures myself :)

13. Pingback: I Like This – March 10, 2010 | My Word with Douglas E. Welch

phlyingpenguin — March 24, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

<3 Bulleit Bourbon. I may have to break it out and try some of this. I have friends notoriously shy to bourbon (living in Kentucky no less!) that may be apt to change their minds on something like that.

Ryan — January 19, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

I’d recommend Elijah Craig bourbon. It’s inexpensive, and flavorful.