Friday, August 28, 2009

Corn Ice Cream

I know what you’re thinking… “Oh no she DIDN’T!” To which I’ll say… Oh yes I did!

I have some really interesting ice cream recipes bookmarked. One of the earliest weird ones I was intrigued by, was this corn ice cream. I thought I’d probably never get to make it, because WHO ELSE, besides me, would be interested in eating it? I was talking about all the flavors I wanted to try with my coworker, and she expressed interest in the corn flavor. And it just so happened I had (oops) forgotten her birthday.

That same week her & I discussed ice cream, we got our CSA share, and it had corn. It was meant to be. I made the ice cream, and was able to give her a large container of it for her belated birthday.

Whenever people ask what it tastes like, all I know to say is “It tastes like corn, ice cream.” It’s creamy & smooth like ice cream, but not too sweet. And it really does taste like corn. So it’s almost like frozen, creamed corn, except WAY better. It definitely has a fresh, seasonal, and earthy taste. When I eat this, I think of summer as a kid. Running through the maze of the cornfield with the boy next door; family reunions at my great grandma’s; being given the task of shucking a whole bag full of ears of corn on the front step. This is an ice cream truly unlike any other. It’s definitely a dessert, don’t fool yourself into thinking this is your vegetables for the day. It’s ice cream, just not like any you’ve had before.

Corn Ice Cream

from Gourmet

Ingredients:

3 ears of corn, kernels cut from cobs and cobs chopped (1-inch pieces)
1 qt whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
5 large egg yolks

Directions:

Cook corn kernels with cobs, milk, cream, and sugar in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.

Discard corn cobs. Purée corn mixture in batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids).

Lightly beat yolks in a large bowl. Slowly add hot corn mixture, whisking. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard is slightly thickened and registers 170ºF on an instant-read thermometer (do not let boil).

Immediately strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids. Chill custard at least 6 hours.

Freeze custard in ice cream maker, in batches if necessary. Transfer to airtight containers and put in freezer to firm up, at least 3 hours.

18 Responses to “Corn Ice Cream”

Cate — August 28, 2009 @ 4:33 am

I bet this would be a huge hit in Thailand…they put canned corn on their ice cream sundaes sometimes!

Beth — August 28, 2009 @ 5:19 am

Love the pic and totally intrigued by corn ice cream. I'm sure it was great! You brought back many memories for me of playing in the corn field with neighbors and shucking corn in the backyard. Ah, happy, simple times!

Lindsay — August 28, 2009 @ 7:53 am

Wow… that's a new one! Intrigued to say the least (and tickled by your photos – too cute.)

Liesl — August 28, 2009 @ 7:54 am

W.I.E.R.D. lol But I am actually kinda wishing you would have brought me a taste! I bet it was good!

Mireya — August 28, 2009 @ 8:02 am

Wow, I never would've thought corn and ice cream would go good together in the same sentence! I'll definitely have to bookmark this one. Thanks for sharing!!

A_and_N — August 28, 2009 @ 9:56 am

I love the presentation! And the roasted veggie lasagna is a must-make!

Molly Jean — August 28, 2009 @ 10:07 am

Hmmm not so sure about corn ice cream, but the presentation? Adorable :)

Kitty Valerie — August 28, 2009 @ 11:37 am

Here in Chile we use to eat corn pie with a sugar cover, so corn ice cream would be warmly welcome :)
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe and beautyful pics,
    Val

oneordinaryday — August 28, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

I love your presentation ~ super cute! I've had this ice cream bookmarked since the beginning of summer but I can't talk anyone in my family into it. I've been really curious if it tasted like corn. {duh}

themilkmanswife — August 28, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

This looks great! Here in Iowa, there is an abundance of wonderful sweet corn and I've been dying to try something like this. You've inspired me! Thanks for sharing!

Kerstin — August 29, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

Love your cute presentation! I would love to try corn ice cream – sweet corn is SO tasty right now!

The Novice Chef — August 29, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

How incredibly unique! I would never, ever think of making corn ice cream! You make me think out of my comfort zone, and I love it!

biz319 — August 30, 2009 @ 8:11 am

I never would have thought in a million years to put corn in icecream! Brave woman!

Anna — August 30, 2009 @ 10:08 am

Ooh, I just recently tasted corn gelato, and it was magnificent. To all the nay-sayers – I bet you've eaten CREAMED corn and corn CHOWDER, which also contains CREAM. It is a perfect pairing and your presentation is so very cute! I just bought a couple ears with the intention of just eating them buuuut I saw this post and was reminded…I think I may have to make my own version soon.

Erin — August 31, 2009 @ 8:55 am

So interesting! This reminds me of something they would make on iron chef. The picture with the corn holders is great!

Ryan — August 31, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

It totally makes sense…not sure if I'm quite ready to make a whole batch yet but maybe in the winter when I'm really craving some sweet corn. The presentation in these photos though should be in Gourmet! Seriously you should look for a food photo contest somewhere online because that is so clever and appetizing.

Joelen — September 2, 2009 @ 6:52 am

This looks good! In Philippines, we actually have sweet corn ice cream so this brought me back to my childhood when I'd eat this as a kid!

Ingrid — September 2, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

Love the plating…FUN! I'd like to try it but don't want to make it myself as I'll probably be the one to eat it all.
    ~ingrid