Monday, March 1, 2010

Vietnamese Iced Coffee Ice Cream

Let’s just make one thing clear. I. Love. Ice Cream. I love it year round. I love frozen yogurt too. If it’s cold and creamy… I’m there! That’s why having the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer is a DANGEROUS thing! I do love ice creams that are rich, fattening, and delicious; like this Butterscotch Ice Cream, or Maple Ice Cream and with Pumpkin Pie Fudge. But I can also get my “fix” from ice creams that aren’t AS bad for you, like this Key Lime Pie version from Cooking Light. This ice cream, luckily, is on lighter end of the fattening scale, and similar to the Key Lime Pie version in it’s creamy-but somewhat-icey texture.

Another thing I love with all my heart is coffee. I was first introduced to a specific version of coffee where you add sweetened condensed milk from a world-traveling blogger I follow, Cate from Cate’s World Kitchen. She drank it while in Thailand, and wrote a blog post about the perfect Thai Iced Coffee. Also, around the same time, I discovered the “Iced Cuban”, which has sweetened condensed milk in it, at a great Nashville coffee shop, Crema. And on my most recent visit to New York City, I ate at Baoguette, a Vietnamese gourmet sandwich shop, where I couldn’t leave without ordering a delicious Vietnamese iced coffee with the wonderful, sweetened condensed milk. And most recently, I enjoyed a tasty Vietnamese iced coffee when Lindsay and her husband introduced The Boy & I to Pho, at a Vietnamese restaurant in Nashville. To say I like that flavor combination, would definitely be an understatement.

My point here is, whether you call it “Thai”, “Cuban”, or “Vietnamese”, when you add sweetened condensed milk to coffee, you get a delicious, addictive treat. Because of my love for all things coffee, my love for ice cream, and my newfound love of the coffee + sweetened condensed milk combo; the minute I saw this recipe I knew I’d be making it. Besides, the ingredients list was only 3 lines long, all of which I already had on hand. I made this back BEFORE I left my Aeropress in Florida; and it was a great, easy way to make the espresso. This was so simple and easy to prepare. The flavor is not the rich, full fat flavor of other ice creams, but it has all the taste of the Vietnamese Iced Coffee, and therefore satisfies all my desires for a cool, cold, creamy treat. It’s lighter on the waistline than the fully decadent ice creams, clocking in at 205 calories, and 6g of fat per 1/2 cup scoop. My only suggestion is, due to the amount of caffeine in this, I don’t recommend a big scoop late in the evening! It’s probably best enjoyed as an afternoon treat.

Vietnamese Iced Coffee Ice Cream

as seen in the San Francisco Gate Chronicle, using a recipe adapted from David Lebovitz
Makes about 1 quart

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 cups brewed espresso or very strong coffee

1/2 cup half-and-half

Big pinch of finely ground dark-roast coffee

Directions:

Whisk together the condensed milk, espresso, half-and-half and ground coffee. Cover and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a covered container and freeze until firm enough to scoop.

Per 1/2 cup serving: 205 calories, 5 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (4 g saturated), 27 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 0 fiber

18 Responses to “Vietnamese Iced Coffee Ice Cream”

Mr. P — March 1, 2010 @ 4:38 am

That photo is driving me crazy, I love it.

Cate — March 1, 2010 @ 8:08 am

BEAUTIFUL photo, and yeah, sweetened condensed milk makes everything better!

Taylor — March 1, 2010 @ 8:34 am

This sounds sooooo good. Lindsay and I will have to try and make it!

Memoria — March 1, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Oh cool! I love coffee ice cream. The one I made was more complicated than this recipe, so I will definitely try this one out!

Carolyn Jung — March 1, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

Wow, so you don’t even need an ice cream machine to make this? Ooooh! I am so trying this. It may replace my morning cup of coffee. ;)

• Erin replied: — March 1st, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Actually, the recipe says to freeze according in an ice cream maker, but there is a method of making ice cream without using an ice cream maker. The always wonderful David Lebovitz has shared instructions here. Good luck!! :)

ravenouscouple — March 1, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

this post really makes us want to go out and buy an ice cream maker!

• Erin replied: — March 1st, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

If you’ve got a TJ Maxx nearby I’ve seen the Cuisinart model there for around $30-$35! I ADORE my ice cream maker.

Luciana — March 1, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Hi this ice cream is wonderful…bye…Luciana

Oh this looks AMAZING. I put condensed milk in my coffee every day, iced or no. One step milk and sugar? I’m in! And now I’m going to need to be into this ice cream!

Maris (In Good Taste) — March 1, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

Looks so so good! I always read you in my Google Reader but your site is really looking wonderful, you’ve come a long way from blogger!

CB — March 2, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

Ohmygod. *drool*
    I love Viet coffee. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked in David Lebovitz’s ice ream book forever. But after seeing your post, I think you just twisted my arm to make (finally) it. You evil evil ice cream temptress.

TripleScoop — March 2, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Great ice cream and a great photo! I too love ice cream…never can get enough of it.

Jessica — March 2, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

This sounds delicious and that photo is fabulous!

Liesl — March 2, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Man I wish I had an ice cream maker! It sounds tasty!

14. Pingback: Vietnamese Iced Coffee Ice Cream – Erin’s Food Files | Happy Happy Joy Joy

Michael Cavinta — March 4, 2010 @ 11:32 pm

I have tried making this ice cream last night and it was one of the best tasting ice creams I have tasted in my life!! It went really well with a hot cup of espresso coffee Thank you for posting this great recipe as I will continue to make this recipe for my kids as they loved it. Great post and great pics too!! Regards.

ingrid — March 5, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

Great photo, Erin! I’m not a coffee drinker but I do love my ice cream. My honey who loves both would probably really enjoy this. I want a new grill perhaps I can use this to sweeten the deal! :)

Happy Friday!