Monday, July 30, 2012

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

When I was offered a carton of grape tomatoes I instantly knew what I wanted to do with them.  I’d been wanting to do slow roasted tomatoes for many summers but never had time to take advantage of the produce.  It’s not like I’ve had tons of free time this summer, as I’ve remained QUITE busy taking care of Elliott, but I did finally manage to make these.  And as it turns out, they are just as tasty as I’d hoped they’d be.

The tomato flavor is escalated & enriched in the slow roasting process.  With minimal effort, and a little bit of patience, you end up with these delicious little morsels of summer goodness.  The possibilities are endless as to what you can mix them into.  So far we’ve used them in pasta, mixed in with basil pesto & couscous, and in another delicious dish I’ll be sharing later.

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Ingredients:

Cherry, grape or small Roma tomatoes
Whole gloves of garlic, unpeeled
Olive oil
Herbs such as thyme or rosemary (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 225°F. Halve each cherry or grape tomato crosswise, or Roma tomato lengthwise and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet along with the cloves of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, just enough to make the tomatoes glisten. Sprinkle herbs on, if you are using them, and salt and pepper, though go easily on these because the finished product will be so flavorful you’ll need very little to help it along.

Bake the tomatoes in the oven for about three hours. You want the tomatoes to be shriveled and dry, but with a little juice left inside–this could take more or less time depending on the size of your tomatoes.

Either use them right away or let them cool, cover them with some extra olive oil and keep them in the refrigerator.

10 Responses to “Slow Roasted Tomatoes”

Kathryn — July 31, 2012 @ 2:10 am

I adore slow roasted tomatoes, they are such a useful thing to have on hand as well because they add so much flavour to dishes.

Lesley Eats — July 31, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Tomatoes never last long enough to get roasted around here, but perhaps I should buy some just for this!

amanda — July 31, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

i’m so glad you posted this recipe. my mom recently visited our family in NJ and brought back some ‘tomato petals’ from an Italian specialty shop we love. they were roasted with garlic paste, balsamic, olive oil and rosemary and are divine. this preparation sounds spot on, so i’ll give it a try with those ingredients.

xaver — July 31, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

If I store them in oil, in an air tight container (weck jar) in the fridge, for how long can I keep them?

• Erin replied: — July 31st, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

Mine lasted a week, because that’s how long it took me to use them all. But I feel they could definitely last longer than that.

I wish I had time this spring to plant some tomatoes, because this would have been great to make during the summer!! My mouth is watering just thinking about this, but us busy mommy’s have to do what we can when the babies are asleep and happy.

amy @ fearless homemaker — August 1, 2012 @ 9:14 am

i loooooove tomatoes, especially when they’re roasted. toss these with a little fresh pasta, some kosher salt, pepper + parmesan, + i’m pretty much in heaven!

Beth — August 1, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Believe it or not, I still have a container of grape tomatoes left from all of those that my sister brought me when she was here 3 or 4 weeks ago. And they are still good, though a few are starting to show some shrivelage. (I know that’s not a word, but I wanted to use it) ;-)

I’m definitely going to finish them off by trying this out!

God, I love tomatoes in any way, shape, or form. They are the best summer treat and what better way to enjoy their amazing flavor than by simply roasting them? I should really do a batch of these – I make salads for my husband’s lunch every day and these would be a great way to add something new.

9. Pingback: Week 10; August 9, 2012 « Turnip Rock Farm – Community Supported Agriculture