Monday, August 15, 2011

Ginger Syrup

I credit my amazing friend Beth as being one of the people to spike my interest in the ginger flavor.  She’s raved about the flavor many times.  Since I began to dabble with this flavor, I quickly jumped in full force.  In fact, these Double Ginger Crackles rank really high on my list of favorite cookies.  I’ve made not one but two different muffins involving the ginger flavor (#1 and #2).  The flavor goes well with salmon, shrimp, chicken and more.  And OF COURSE… in cocktails.  So many amazing drinks I’ve been enjoying involve either ginger syrup, ginger beer, or even candied ginger.  Like ones I’ve had at Tavern (1920), Holland House (Pimm’s Cup), and No. 308 (Whiskey Ginger), as well as the ever faithful Jackson’s (Misery & Gin) & Rumba (Cumberland Sidecar, Kentucky Karma, & many more).

Thanks to the wonders of Twitter, last fall I was tipped off to a specialty latte being made at my former neighborhood coffee shop, and one of my favorite places, Dose.  I can’t remember if it was Kelly or Kira that first mentioned Dose’s Ginger Latte, but I kid you not, I drove over there that.very.day to experience it for myself.  It was every bit as good as I imagined.  I’ve ordered quite a few since then, and as the weather turned warm this past spring, I switched to iced coffee with ginger syrup.  As I began to transition into my Starbucks Iced Via addiction I really wanted to add that ginger flavor to my coffee at home.  So finally I set to it, and made this ginger syrup.  And then I immediately made another batch.  I’m not kidding.  I quickly realized between the coffee & the cocktails, I’d go through this pretty quick.  Plus, I wanted to make some extra to give as a birthday gift to the girl who kickstarted my love of ginger!  Though I was about 2 months belated in my gift giving, I think Beth still appreciated the syrup!

This syrup tastes GREAT in my morning iced coffee, or in fresh squeezed lemonade, and of course cocktails.  Quite a few times I’ve had bourbon, over ice with a dash of this syrup, and a splash of Domain de Canton Ginger Liqueur.  If you’re looking for a cocktail to whip up with this ginger syrup, I can highly recommend the Ginger Rogers, on Beth’s blog!

Ginger Syrup

Yield: 2 cups

Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 six-inch piece fresh ginger, finely diced

Directions:

Place sugar, ginger, and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until ginger flavor is quite strong, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. (I need to simmer mine a full hour for it to reduce enough.) Remove from heat, cover and let cool. Strain before using. Refrigerate.

adapted from Martha Stewart

17 Responses to “Ginger Syrup”

Beth — August 16, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I loved my birthday gift!!! And yes, I said lovED. It didn’t last too long around my house ;-)

I also can attest to the deliciousness of your double ginger crackle cookies. I’ve made them a few times and they are absolutely perfect for a ginger lovin’ girl like me!

Kelly — August 16, 2011 @ 8:10 am

If I weren’t at work right now, I’d be out making this right now!!! I love ginger flavor more than anything I think!

Danguole — August 16, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I made this and put it in champagne once. Delicious!

Cubicle.com — August 16, 2011 @ 11:52 am

What a great idea…and so easy. I can think of tons of ways that I could use this.

Thanks!

Jey — August 17, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Yum! This would be an amazing addition to my favorite drink this summer: the Moscow Mule!

natalie (the sweets life) — August 18, 2011 @ 10:13 am

we are ginger obsessed—esp when it comes to cocktails! must try this!

Oh this is just plain awesome! I will have to make some of this soon to keep on hand. Ginger is so good for you!

caleblargo — August 29, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

This is crazy! I had that Ginger latte at Dose(w/ whipped cream & cinnamon!) last week and just googled “ginger syrup” because I wanted to make it myself. Here your blog comes up showing how to make it, and you had it at Dose too! Small world…

Antoinette Seminario-Skinner — September 13, 2011 @ 6:39 am

This sounds great!!! I am making this today. LOVE ginger!! Thanks for sharing this.

Antoinette Seminario-Skinner — September 13, 2011 @ 6:45 am

PS- Do you peel your ginger first? And…since I am going to try this in my coffee first…how do YOU make your coffee? I want to make my own pumpkin spice version, since here in Cadiz (where Beth is from- LOVE her!) nobody (that I know of) actually sells it. Thank you!!!

• Erin replied: — September 13th, 2011 @ 8:52 am

I do peel the ginger first. And I have a couple different ways to make my coffee. In the colder months, I use my Aeropress to make my own espresso. And in the warmer months, I use Starbucks Iced VIA. I purchase mine at Sam’s Club, so I get it really really cheap! Also sometimes I will use a French Press, and I do have a regular coffee pot. But I mainly use the coffee pot if my dad or my husband’s dad is in town, because they like traditional coffee.

11. Pingback: A Sense of Place » Homemade Ginger Syrup

Meg — July 1, 2013 @ 6:38 am

Hi Erin,

Made this last night, and it was fabulous! Thank you for the recipe. One question- when I refrigerated the syrup it became nearly impossible to pour–do you just wait for the syrup to reach room temp before serving? Or is it possible that something went wrong with the recipe?

• Erin replied: — July 1st, 2013 @ 7:45 am

It sounds like perhaps your syrup got cooked down, or reduced more. That will make it stronger & thicker. Perhaps your cook range is stronger than mine! For now, your best bet it to let it warm before serving. Sorry about that! Keeping it in the door of the fridge will help too, as it’s not as cold as the interior. Next time simmer for only 30 min, and see how it ends up!

Christina — September 15, 2013 @ 7:09 am

Hi Erin,

I tried making this today, but mine crystallized when it cooled down. What did I do wrong?

• Erin replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 5:39 am

I am very sorry to hear that! It sounds like you cooked it either too long/too hot and it reduces too much. My stove is a glass top induction range, and I always need to simmer this a long time (the full hour) for it to reduce. I could see if your range runs hotter/is more efficient you needing less time to simmer, more like 20-30 min. By chance do you have a gas range?

• Erin replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

I am very sorry to hear that! I am thinking it sounds like you cooked it too long/too hot. Perhaps your cooking range is hotter than mine, and yours might have simmered at a higher temp, which means if you simmered the full time, it reduced too much. Whenever I make the ginger syrup I have to simmer it for the full hour for it to reduce enough. If your range runs hotter, you might be fine with just simmering 20-30 minutes. I will amend the recipe to specify a time range. Again, sorry this didn’t turn out as expected for you!