Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bison Burgers with Pinot Noir Onions & Goat Cheese

Sometimes you crave a burger. In my never-ending desire for healthier options, I decided to fulfill this craving with a ground beef alternative. No, not a turkey burger or chicken burger; this time I went for a bison burger. Bison has many health benefits; it’s much lower in fat than ground beef. Most bison eat a grass fed diet, instead of corn based grain like cattle are often fed. And, Reader’s Digest even recommends bison as a super food for women to help with iron levels. (Attention KW, might wanna try that next time before donating blood!)

This recipe was pretty simple to prepare, the onions take a bit of time to caramelize, but it’s still a pretty quick dinner. I served ours with sweet potato fries. I really enjoyed the onions caramlized in red wine and topped with goat cheese. I think The Boy would of preferred his without the onions though. Either way, seek out bison next time you’re browsing the meat section of your local grocer!

Bison Burgers with Pinot Noir Onions & Goat Cheese
from Elly Says Opa!

1 large vidalia onion, sliced
1 sprig thyme (I just used dried thyme)
1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus additional for cooking burgers
2/3 cup pinot noir
1 lb. ground bison
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
salt and pepper
1 small (4 oz) log of goat cheese
4 split hamburger buns

In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and the thyme. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook with a pinch of salt until the onions are soft golden brown, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pluck out the thyme sprig and then increase the heat to medium-high. Add the wine and cook until it’s almost completely absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, lightly mix together the bison, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties, salt & pepper, and cook them however you like–grill, broil, pan fry (the plan was to grill, but The Boy got called into work, so I pan-fried mine), about 2 minutes per side for medium rare.

Broil or toast the buns with the goat cheese on them. Serve the burgers on the toasted buns with the onions.

10 Responses to “Bison Burgers with Pinot Noir Onions & Goat Cheese”

Maryanna — June 30, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

This looks amazing. I love a good twist to a burger, and bison is my favorite! And it's leaner than cow.

HLEure — June 30, 2009 @ 10:01 pm

This looks great! I'd love a burger right now! And I really like the idea of trying out different cheeses (you know, other than your usual cheddar, American, maybe Swiss…) on a burger! Thanks for sharing.

Cate — July 1, 2009 @ 12:21 am

Everything about this recipe sounds delicious. I'm all about healthier burgers these days, but I still haven't tried bison!

♥Rosie♥ — July 1, 2009 @ 3:03 am

OMG this looks absolutely gorgeous!! My hubby would just love to sit down and eat this.

Beth — July 1, 2009 @ 9:28 am

First let me say that I grow more and more jealous of your beautiful photography every day. Before long I'm going to break down and buy a better camera!

As for the burger- I love bison, and this looks so yummy! wish I had one right now. Did you see my blog post yesterday about my bison steak at tayst? OMG it was good.

ellysaysopa — July 1, 2009 @ 9:30 am

They look great! So glad you liked them!

Kerstin — July 1, 2009 @ 8:57 pm

What flavorful burgers – your picture is making my mouth water with those onions and goat cheese on top!

Corrinne — July 13, 2009 @ 11:30 am

What a great recipe post, Erin! I work with Chavrie goat cheese and its a great healthy alternative to cow's milk cheese. I often recommend a Turkey Goat Cheese Stuffed Burger but the Bison sound unique and healthy! Thanks!

Katie in DC — February 21, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

This was delicious! I used feta cheese instead of goat cheese (since we recently have a feta surplus in my house), but it was still amazing. I’d highly recommend giving this a try.

veterinary technician — May 9, 2010 @ 3:37 am

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!